This blog is a knowledge base...where I clip cool tricks and urls

GAC and references

clipped from aspalliance.com
In Depth

First, I recommend you create a shared directory that's easy to remember where you will store all of the assemblies that you want to show up in the dialog. For this I chose C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Third-Party Tools . Although we could argue about the semantics, I think this basically covers anything not included with the .NET Framework, and it is easy to remember and not user-specific.

Next, you'll want to open up that friendly program, RegEdit, and go to \\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\AssemblyFolders and add a new key, calling it whatever you want. It really doesn't matter what you call this except for when you look it up in the registry. For consistency's sake though, I named it 'Third-Party Tools'.  Then you simply need to change the (Default) string value to be the path to the directory you created for this purpose, which is, in my case, C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Third-Party Tools.  See the screen shot below for the complete picture.

 blog it

No comments:

Blog Archive